Now that fall is in full swing, it’s time to celebrate all that Autumn has to offer. Whether you’re baking your in-season sweets or hosting a harvest dinner, take advantage of this season’s spices. From cozy cups of tea to homestyle roasts, reap the benefits and create blends of the following fall spices.
- Star Anise
Spice up Your Seasonings
This blend is perfect for baking, dressing up your favorite latte, or sprinkling on buttered toast.
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
Wrap the spices in a cheesecloth and secure it with twine. Steep the spice sachet in hot water to infuse flavor, then mix the water with your favorite milk or non-dairy alternative.
- 3 to 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 to 2 star anise
Dress up your roast chicken, whether it be the legs, thighs, breasts, or the whole rotisserie. Enjoy these warm flavors as a main at the dinner table, or use your seasoned chicken in salads, sandwiches, and savory soups.
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon ground dried ginger, optional
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
Use this mix as a fun and flavorful way to shake up your lamb or chicken recipes without adding extra fat.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fine salt
- 1/2 tablespoon white or black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon allspice