Quick Pickle Friday: Radishes
Pickled radishes are the perfect garnish on tacos, burgers, avocado toast, salads, braised meats, and more! Any dish that would benefit from a bit of acidity can rock these radishes. Feel free to use any variety you like, but one of our personal favorites is the watermelon radish. This radish is famous for its vibrant pink center and lime green rim. We recommend using a mandoline to slice your radishes, as it will give you even and thin slivers.
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced thin
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 black peppercorns
Pickling your Radishes:
- Add the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt to your Smart Cooker cooking pot, then stir to combine.
- Select the Sear/Sauté function and set it to Sear for 8 minutes. Cook, uncovered, until the liquid comes to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof mason jar or other heatproof container, combine the radishes with peppercorns, fennel seed, and a bay leaf.
- Pour enough of the hot pickling liquid over the radishes to cover them completely. Discard any excess liquid.
- Let it cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate for up to three weeks.