Happy Hour: The Perfect Holiday Paloma
The paloma makes for a sweet summertime sip, but it can easily be transformed into a sweater-weather staple. The easy-to-make ginger syrup gives this festive libation some flare, while the pomegranate and grapefruit juices deliver this drink its signature pop of color.
Serve this cocktail at your next small soirée, or sip it with friends at your virtual holiday happy hour!
Ginger Pomegranate Paloma
Makes 1 cocktail
Ginger Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 oz tequila
- Ginger beer or sparkling water
- Orange slices, for garnish (optional)
- Pomegranate arils, for garnish (optional)
- Small fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- For the simple syrup: Combine the sugar, water, and ginger in a saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil and the sugar dissolves completely.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the mint. Let it steep for 15 minutes, then strain the syrup into a container.
(You will have more syrup than needed for one cocktail, but it will keep, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 month.)
- For the Paloma: Fill a highball glass with some crushed ice. Add the pomegranate juice, grapefruit juice, tequila, and 2 Tbsp of the ginger syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Top the drink off with some ginger beer and garnish with orange slices, pomegranate seeds, and mint leaves.